Sunday, June 12, 2011

Regarding Father's Day


A tribute to dads, in an odd way, so bear with me. Also I have no patience whatsoever so this post is early.

My friend Kendall: Who I have written briefly about before. Kendall has been a dear, supportive friend for about eight years now. A loving and intuitive man with wonderful children, grandchildren Kendall's father never had the chance to know.

My friend Burns: A man who is cynically funny, can play the guitar BY EAR, and is a friend of the first order. He also lost his father too soon. He has two beautiful kids and has been through his share of challenges this past year.

My friend Ridley Scott*: A truly Upright Guy, insane talented director and maybe the funniest person I've ever met. I was crazy-nuts about him when I lived in CA. He was not so much The Crazy about me, but always kind and respectful. That truly showed when he came through for me when I was in one of the darkest times of my life. I met his folks once or twice and his dad was so great, so proud of him.

My friend John: An incredible illustrator whose work touches many. I kept emailing him insightful and funny missives (well, I think they were) until I finally wore him down and now we are friends. An amazing man - sweet, open, and full of kindness. He also has so much integrity I think it leaks out his ears, a potential problem for his pillowcases I would imagine. I've had the pleasure of meeting his father twice, so I now know where he gets his charm, generosity of heart, and awesome fashion sense.

My friend Christopher: An intelligent, passionate young man who had a very challenging childhood. Another man with great integrity. He just recently lost his father and my heart aches to know that his father will not be here to see how successful and influential Christopher will be. Witty, smart and informed to the point of being irritating, I am so lucky to know him.

My friend Daniel: Daniel is husband to Marie, dear friends I have written about before. Daniel is more the parent-at-home than Marie, as she is out successfully conquering the international world of advertising. Their kids are terrific and will grow up to be loving and giving adults.

What is my point? Bring it back around, Elle....

These 6 guys have been great to me in their own ways. Some in very narrow windows of time; some give what they can give; others have supported me throughout my adult life.

Although their fathers surely had faults and fallacies (like you know, people), those fathers ultimately gave me the gift of loving friends.

So Thanks from Me, to my friend's dads. Happy Father's Day.


Postscript: I really wanted to work in the phrase, "Besties With Testes", but maybe next time. Sorry Burns.



* Not the real one. Come on People - Really? I would've bragged about that a long time ago.



No comments:

Post a Comment