Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Washington State Bar Exam, Chapter Two

As mentioned previously, I studied with Mike and Bex. Today is about Mike.

This dude is, hands down, A Fine Man.

My Alma Mater was keen on bringing in diverse students, especially ones embarking on second careers like me - and like Mike.

I used to be in advertising, which has its Cool Factor and all, but Mike.

Before law school Mike was - wait for it - a fighter pilot.

I KNOW. A FIGHTER PILOT.

Now before I get into that, I have to admit bias because, well, my friend Kendall who is quite dear to me lost not only his biological father but later his stepfather to airflight. His biological father a military test pilot and well, not really my place to tell that story.

Anyway not only is Mike a previous fighter pilot making him Insane Cool, he is also as good as gold, not the Big Head at all. A tall strapping man with a shock of gray hair and dancing eyes. He reminds me of my brother, all those personality traits I wish I had. Friendly, engaging, charismatic... As said in Texas, He's never met a stranger.

He and Bex were good friends, and in the same law section (I was in Section C, I think they were in B). I got to know him a little when we had Con Law together.

I remember he and his wife invited Bex and I over for a party during Review. We all needed the break and it was a good summer get-together.

I was totally entranced with his pilots helmet, it had taken beatings. Like a professional football player's helmet, but with meaning, dedication to country, and cool stickers.

"Jeez Mike, you were a fighter pilot - you must have loved it, must have been so thrilled to be at the very top of the game, and the military must have backed you completely to train you to fly such incredible aircraft...why did you leave?"

"Because I was just the driver, disposable. Pilots can be trained for (x$), but Fighter planes cost (1,000,000x$). Which do you think they consider more valuable?"

Oh. Well I guess I can see that, as much as I'd prefer not.

So that's a bit of Mike.

And a bit of my friend Kendall. I know I'd not be the person I am today without my friend Kendall, and in turn Kendall would not be Kendall without his father.

This weekend, please think of Mike's work, all those who have given, and the sacrifice of Kendall's father.


The family Kendall's father left behind, the children he did not get to see grow up, the incredible grandchildren he never knew.

He gave his life for this country.


No comments:

Post a Comment