Monday, May 30, 2011

The Washington State Bar Exam, Chapter Three

Now a bit about Bex, the third Barsketeer.

And Yes we called ourselves the Barsketeers because we were too brain dead to come up with anything more clever.

Bex is a sunny young woman with beautiful red hair and a smile that lights the room. If she had another freckle she'd have to carry it in her pocketbook. Quick to laugh, always positive and probably the most truly spiritual person I've ever known. She introduced me to the Buddhist Temple I attended in The Pacific Northwest's Most Beautiful City. Thanks Bex, I will always be grateful that - among all the other things you've given.

My last semester of law school was complicated by several health issues, and it was so bad at one point I seriously considered withdrawing from school. With each problem, each diagnosis, I kept thinking, "One more thing, and I'm going to lose it!"

And then there'd be One More Thing.

So into summer Bar Review, Bex was gracious enough to help me. She managed doctor appointments, traipsed with me to the hospital, took notes, encouraged me, even helped me stay up all night one night for a sleep-deprivation test.

Bex is no stranger to the fear one can have of illness; of deep personal challenge or profound loss.

I will not go into her story here. It is not mine to tell. Suffice it to say the next time you are crying in your cups over your lot in life, think of Bex and her fiance, and recognize your life has been nothing but unicorns shitting rainbows.

One of the newspaper articles about her fiance here.

Although now I am pleased to report that today Bex is happily married to a lovely man, has a sweet step-son, and a fulfilling career.

Go Bex! Lord knows you deserve it.

So that was our little band, Me Mike and Bex.

More on the Review, the Bar itself, in further posts.


No comments:

Post a Comment