Saturday, April 30, 2011

Speaking of Bonnie Raitt

I think this may be my favorite song/rendition of hers, and here are the reasons:

1. Dennis Quaid in a sleeveless Sun Records T-shirt. Oh, the grin and guns on the man.

Hey, I'm not blind.

2. Bonnie is the queen of slide, or bottleneck, a technique of playing that goes way back to an African influence. You'd think, Hey, bottleneck makes it easier! Oh No my Friend, slide is far harder. Notice in this video her slide is, in fact, a beer bottle neck.

3. The line, "Whether your sunglasses are off or on... You only see the world you make." The song is about being human, recognizing wanting what you want, and not being precious about it. Love is a gift - Take it.

4. The bridge of the song - again, beautiful guitar work.

5. The video's cutting, the rack focus, the lighting, the direction (especially the timing of looks between the busboy and the girl) , Bonnie's face in the very last scene - I think we all know where this is heading....Nicely done and still pretty much holds up for something produced what, ten, fifteen years ago?

6. Did I mention Dennis Quaid? Lord have mercy.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment